My offense is minor. Do I need a lawyer? Why can't I just handle this on my own?

You should always consult an attorney when you are charged with any offense. Even offenses that seem relatively minor can have serious long term consequences. For example, many types of convictions can affect your employment, your driver's license, your gun rights, and your immigration status. Criminal cases can have an impact on your eligibility for certain schools, federally-subsidized student loans, and specific types of employment in the future. It is always in your best interest to hire an attorney if you are facing criminal charges. An attorney may be able to successfully fight the charges or reduce the consequences of the offense.